31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free” (John 8:31, 32, NASB).
What is your worldview? Every cognizant person possesses a view of the world. Dr. Jeff Myers of Summit Ministries in Manitou Springs, Colorado defines a worldview as “a pattern of ideas, beliefs, convictions, and habits that help us make sense of God, the world, and our relationship to God and the world.” One of the reasons humans experience difficulties with others is due to clashes between worldviews. People have different opinions about God, personhood, and the purpose of life. Some individuals maintain there is only one God, others believe in multiple gods, and some do not even believe the God of the Bible exists. A person’s worldview functions as a lens to view reality and the world.
Multiple worldviews exist in the 21st century. Since worldviews differ in major ways, every one of them cannot be true. Summit Ministries asserts that six worldviews dominate our planet. The following tenets are adapted from Summit’s Worldview Chart.
- Christianity believes God is the Creator of all things. Humans have received God’s truth through the teachings of the Bible. The world is broken due to sin. The first human couple disobeyed God and every person thereafter begins life with a sin nature. Yet, God offers a solution to our sin problem (forgiveness and eternal life) through Jesus Christ’s death on the cross for those who trust Him as Savior.
- Islam believes Allah is the creator of all things. Humanity is broken due to not submitting to Allah. Humans must submit to Allah by following the teachings given by the prophet Muhammad.
- Secularism doesn’t believe in God. The physical world is all there is. Religion is considered to be an impediment to life on Earth. Humanity is broken due to ignorance. Fulfilled living comes through knowledge rather than religion.
- Marxism doesn’t believe in God. This worldview originated from the ideas of Karl Marx. Similar to secularism, Marxism maintains the physical world is all that exists. Property should not be personally owned, but everything should be publicly held. Humanity is broken due to the rich possessing too much. Capitalism should be replaced with communism.
- Postmodernism is a skeptical reaction to modernism (science and human reason would solve mankind’s pressing needs). The physical world is all there is. Truth is relative. Humanity is broken due to some people believing in absolute truth. Anyone claiming to have ultimate truth is viewed with suspicion.
- New Spirituality is sometimes referred to as pantheism. In this view, everyone and everything is connected through a type of god-consciousness. All things exist in relation to a spiritual entity called the force. Humanity is broken due to individuality. People must become unified with all things.
With these major worldviews permeating this world there’s no wonder people experience conflict with others.
Jesus acknowledged that His followers would experience difficulties in this life. He expressed in John 16:33, “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
This church embraces the Christian worldview. We believe in the God of the Bible. Through personal trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, an individual can experience hope not only for today, but also for eternity. Truth and freedom can be found through a personal relationship with Jesus.
Pastor Cecil Price
March 13, 2022